Re: Memory Performance Issue with Fedora Core 2 Kernels

John Dangler wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of James Foris
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 3:22 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Memory Performance Issue with Fedora Core 2 Kernels
...[snip]...

My driver requires a large amount of contiguous physical memory for
DMA from a PCI device.  I use the 'mem=YYY' command line parameter to
reserve the top of physical RAM for my driver.  Then I allow mapping
via mmap() calls to user space.  The user space app then uses this
pointer to save the data to disk.

Normally the user space app writes to disk using the mmap()'d pointer as
the source.  With the new kernels these writes are taking way too long
(around 20 MB/s).  Even when the write goes to /dev/shm, the speed is
limited to around 20 MB/s.  A memcpy from the mmap()'d memory seems to
have no such slowdown.

The bottleneck seems to be in i/o...

It certainly does.

check the hdparm settings on the drive.

Look again at the above example: it was using the "/dev/shm" device - which is the shared memory file system. There is no disk hardware involved.

And this same test on a simple/cheap home PC had a transfer rate > 450 MBytes/sec.

It this beause 1) it should be as close to a memcpy as a file system transfer
can get, 2) it is portable, and 3) it eliminates the disk subsystem as an issue.

Also, this method has worked for several years using the 2.4 kernel series with performance numbers in the 700+ MByte range on HP workstations. It is only in the 2.6 kernel series that we see a dramatic slowdown.

And this is the reason for this post - it really looks like something is broken
in the IA32 architecture in 2.6.

Jim Foris

(memcpy will definitely run faster than disc i/o)