Fresh FC1 hang/lock-up with sawfish/xterm

Have a fresh FC1 install; whenever I try to replace metacity with sawfish, and then run an xterm* the whole thing hangs on me (sawfish/gnmoe-session, not a box lock-up).

  I'm absolutely stumped!

I *think* I can run sawfish safely every time from a remote ssh session (DISPLAY=:0.0 sawfish &), but if I try it from the gnome login, I'll get a few seconds of activity, then one of sawfish/gnome-session hangs on me. I've even tried unsetting 'SESSION_MANAGER' before running sawfish (as that's not set on the 'OK' ssh session), although I note there are a couple of other SM-related variables I may try.

I've even tried on a brand new user account with all default/blank settings, and *that* does it! It all works fnie at home, but my box there has been upgraded through RH6.1+ to FC1 (not FC2 yet).

* - I *think* it's only xterm I have grief with.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature