Re: yum installs

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 18:10, John Dangler wrote:
> I am trying to install an rpm of Sablotron which currently resides on my
> local drive.  rpm -iv complains about dependencies, so I tried to install it
> with yum, since the man page says that if yum doesn't find the package name,
> it assumes a shell glob and looks for that.  I fully qualified the name of
> the rpm, but yum says that it cannot find a package matching that name.  Did
> I misunderstand the man information?
>
> Thanks.
> John

Hi John, yum only "sees" the packages that are in the locations listed
in /etc/yum.conf . The easy way is to setup yum to use Dag Wieer's repo
which has slabotron.

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B3

Or you could add the local directory to your yum.conf temporarily with
an entry similar to this:

[local-directory]
name=local directory
baseurl=file:///path/that/contains/your/package/

Run yum-arch from that directory to create the header(s) that yum uses.
Then run yum update as usual and it will pick up your package.

Wayne Steenburg