Re: Test with Chkrootkit

On 07.25 13:44, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 25 July 2004 11:52, Norman Nunn wrote:
>I got the following indicators:
>
>ls INFECTED
>22 process hidden for readdir command
>22 process hidden for ps command
>Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed

Yup, you've been rooted, pull the network cable and see if you can
reboot to the distribution and refresh the other tools, like ls, top,
and a bunch of others.  You may have to get aquainted with a command
called chattr because these jerks tend to set the immutable bit on
their replacement versions.

>On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 08:43, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 11:36, Norman Nunn wrote:
>> > In checking the chkrootkit website, I noticed that chkrootkit
>> > had not been tested (or completed testing) with the 2.6 kernel.
>> > Is it reliable for FC2?  I have some indicator that may prompt
>> > me to do a fresh reinstall and would appreciate input before I
>> > go to that effort. Clamscan did not pickup anything for me.

To further analyze the problem, run ./chkproc -v to get a list of the hidden processes, then run cat /proc/<pid>/cmd to see the processes that are hidden.

BTW, I'm using version 0.43 on a 2.6 kernel. Works fine, as far as I can tell.