Re: Running two copies of apache

Ted Kaczmarek wrote:
On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 09:19 -0400, Doug Maurer wrote:

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 09:02, Colin Paul Adams wrote:

"Ted" == Ted Kaczmarek <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Ted> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 11:04 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> What tasks need to be done to get a second copy of apache
>> running on a bog-standard FC2 system? -- Colin Paul Adams
>> Preston Lancashire

I don't have enough domain names or IP addresses left.

I think you might have everyone confused.. at least I am.. with virtual servers, you can tell the dns servers to point your domain names to one IP and apache will know which domain is being asked for and send back the appropriate site pages being requested.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

Exactly, which is why one should never need two copies of apache running on one box. I also stated "what you may want" as original post was lacking requirement details :-)

Well, it also has advantages of running 2 apaches on the same machine. We have a high traffic site hosted on one machine and one apache is only doing mod-perl stuff and the other apache just serving images. That was developed before I joined the company, but folks told me that it *indeed* has a performance gain, because the image-apache doesn't have mod-perl enabled.

Cheers,
Hannes.