Re: Where's the other printing system?

On Saturday 24 July 2004 19:04, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 20:48, Dave Washburn wrote:
> > Actually, that's the whole problem: I set CUPS to use the SMB shared
> > printer and it still can't talk to it.  I'm ready to try anything short
> > of a sledge hammer at this point.
>
> I posted a message in the last few days with details on how I setup
> linux to windows printing.

I only just joined today.  Can you point me to the message?

> I believe the real trick is very careful attention to user permissions
> and login data when setting up the printer on both the linux and windows
> side.
>
> Make sure you configure samba to be in the same workgroup and use user
> security.

Did all that, I've checked the samba configuration, user and login stuff, a
dozen times.  Once again, before with RH9, I switched to LPRng, did nothing
whatsoever else, and it took off like the proverbial bat.  Fedora isn't even
giving me the option AFTER I installed LPRng.  Once I installed it and
uninstalled CUPS, the print system switcher (which I looked at just to see if
LPRng would finally show up) told me I had NO printing system installed.

> With Red Hat 8.0 I had given up on this also.  Once I had it working
> with FC1 I was able to go back and sort out Red Hat 8.0 printing.  In
> that case I was unable to the the redhat-config-printer tool, I had to
> use the CUPS interface to setup the print queue.
>
> In FC1 and FC2 I was able use system-config-printer to set everything
> up.

I've been into that program until it's sick of me.  No help.  Ditto for the
browser-based CUPS configuration.  It still doesn't work.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur