Re: nfs slow behaviour

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 14:54, Chadley Wilson wrote:

So I had working nfs and now I have a broken nfs, mmm.

The server worked all night long no problems,

My setup is as follows:

Celeron 2.4 Gig with 512 mb ram on a msi 7005 maiboard on board
everything,
I have added thre pci intel pro 100 + network cards and fill the pci
slots.
I created a bond between the three intel cards (eth1 eth2 eth3). and the
onboard (eth0) is a route to another network ie eth0 = 196.25.100.120
bond0 = 192.168.10.2

When I start nfs it takes a long time time more than 5 five minutes.
I have checked dmesg and /var/log/messages there are no entries refering
to nfs or nfsd. It was working perfectly until I added a new dir which I have now
removed, but I still sit with this problem.
Exportfs does show the shares, but exportfs -r or -a just hangs for more
than five minutes too.

I have tried rebooting and restarting each service one by one
netfs
nfs
xinetd
network
etc...
Where else could I look for the cause of the problem.

I have tested the bond0 device thoroughly I just copied two gigs of isos
over in under 3 minutes, I don't think thats the problem.

The service --status-all |grep nfs shows the service is running

here is some output.

[root@preload root]# service --status-all |grep nfs
nfsd (pid 3210 3209 3208 3207 3206 3205 3204 3203) is running...
[root@preload root]#

Then try mounting and

[root@chadlin root]# mount preload:/fc1 test/
mount to NFS server 'preload' failed: server is down

any ideas?

No solution, but I see a similar problem here using FC1. My /home directories are nfs-mounted from a FreeBSD (5.2.1) machine and as you say it can take from 5 to 30 minutes for the mount to succeed -- when it is done from /etc/fstab:

amayatra:/home                 /home                   nfs rw 0 0

I've actually commented out this line in /etc/fstab because it takes so damn long to mount. No errors are displayed. The nfs server shows the mount request being received, but it takes fer-frickin'-ever to complete on the client. None of the other machines on the network (running FreeBSD and NetBSD) have this problem.

Curiously, if I leave the line commented out and mount /home manually ("mount amayatra:/home /home") it is instantly mounted; no delay.

I've tried changing when the nfs filesystems are mounted in init, but it doesn't seem to matter.

It's kind of a PITA because I have to mount /home manually when I reboot, but I don't reboot all that often so I've just put up with it.

--

-John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)