Re: Pesky virus

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 10:14, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I've got a small problem.  Last week I received in my
> non-espersunited.com email account an email from someone I don't know
> with an .exe file as an attachment.  Naturally I assumed that this was a
> virus, and wrote back to the email address it was from informing them

Dumb.

1. You told them they had used a valid address.

2. if the 'from' address was spoofed (as many are) you sent it to the
unsuspecting innocent party.

> that they had a virus.  I've received several similar emails on through
> the week, most were unique but all followed the same format:  One line
> of text and then the attachment link, usually a .exe or a .zip file.  I
> haven't opened any of them, but in the past couple of days I've begun
> seeing them in my espersunited.com email accounts.  I wasn't too worried
> about it until this morning, when I received a message from another SMTP

3.  You have been wearing blinders for quite some time if you are not
aware of problems like 1 & 2 above.

> server saying that my mail was undeliverable to some person's email
> account.  I looked at the message sent and it was indeed from me, but
> the message body held the same one line and thesame EXE/ZIP file
> attachment as the ones I'd received from multiple sources.  I use
> evolution as my email client.  Could I be infected with this virus?  I
> didn't think Linux was susceptible to virii - only hostile shell
> scripts.  Is there a way I can test if I am infected, and if I am, is
> there a way to find the virus so that I can destroy it?

If you are running linux you are not likely infected, However, if your
address was harvested from someone elses contact list their machine can
use your address as a spoofed sender. (see 2 above)