Re: sendmail user name and password authentication

Am Sa, den 24.07.2004 schrieb Jonathan T. Steadman um 3:15:

> I have created a certificate so that I would be able to send passwords
> securely, but now my problem is actually sending the password, right now
> the user is asked to accept certificate which is wonderful, but my
> server is not requiring users to use a user name and password (actually
> it doesn't work if you try user name and password) to relay mail, I want
> it to, I read up on it a little and thought it was because of AUTH_MECH
> options, but I changed them to LOGIN and PLAIN so that PAM could deal
> with them, (yes I did specify in ~/sasl2/sendmail.conf that pwcheck was

Hope you just didn't take enough care when posting here. It must be
/usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf - ~ stands for $HOME and the sasl2 files
don't have to be there anywhere - and as you see Sendmail.conf starts
with a capital S.

> to be done with pam) do I somehow have to specify password file or
> something?  I have authentication for pop3 server working with
> PAM/Dovecot but that is a whole other story.  Anyways all of what I
> considered important values for what I want are listed below. anyways
> sorry about all my many send mail questions/issues, I am hoping this
> really will be the last of them, I guess they (thankfully) have many
> hoops to jump through in sendmail to help fight spammers.

A bit hard to say what's going on with your Sendmail from the given
information. Did you first check that SMTP AUTH works without using
STARTTLS? Do so by telneting on port 25. Have a close look at the
maillog and maybe increase the log level to 15. If SMTP AUTH works
without a previously established encryption then you know that your
STARTTLS does not work. It will be then certainly that you certificates
are not proper.

> define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/usr/share/ssl/certs')
> define(`confCACERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt')
> define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
> define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
> define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl

Looks ok so far.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 17:01:31 up 2 days, 1:49, load average: 0.10, 0.04, 0.03