Re: the registry

Hi,

> This at first read sounds like a candidate for stupid question of the
> year.  But on reconsidering, maybe windows did something right by
> consolidating all those *.conf files scattered all over hell into one
> file

I can't disagree more strongly with that if I tried.

Sure it may be a slight pain to have a large number of conf files
in /etc, but when the registry gets damaged under Windows, that's it -
you're knackered.

You also have the additional problem of having things infecting the
registry (such as malware/spyware hooks) which then proceed to infect
not just their own entries, but lots of other places to ensure the
replication. This has to be one of the best reasons there ever could be
*not* to have a single file registry. Linux is strong due to the
disparate config files which doesn't allow for such infections.

Also you don't have very confusing keys which no-one understands!

TTFN

Paul
--
"Look. If you had one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything you
ever wanted. One moment to capture or would you just let it slip?" -