Dual Opteron -- FC2 won't recognize RAM

Hi folks,

Today, I installed FC2 on a dual Opteron-140 with 12Gig RAM.  The
install would only work if I added "mem=1024M" or similar as a kernel
option.

After the install (which went nicely), the system would only boot if
less than 4Gig was specified using the kernel option "mem=3900M" or
similar.  Anything over 4Gig resulted in an immediate re-boot (reset?)
within a second or two of the attempted boot.

This machine has successfully run both SuSE and RHEL v3.  I would now
like to use FC2 but am disappointed by the (apparent?) lack of support
for 12Gig RAM.  I've tried searching for information on Fedora large-RAM
support but am making not headway.  Are there any special kernels or
options that I could try with FC2 to get it to recognize all of the RAM?

Or should I just go back to RHEL 3?

thanks,
Ed

===

PS: System is an MSI-8131 MB with dual Opteron-140

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307