Re: cracking winmodem issues pt 2: error messages - ?solution?

Original problem:
Building the winmodem slmodem-2.9.9 driver in kernel 2.6.6-x and kernel 2.6.5-x

(Thanks James)
It all sounds very easy, and should be, but I am getting many many error messages when trying the build the new kernel (once I type in make menuconfig). So near and yet so far... if only the new kernel installed alright.
I used up2date a few days ago to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 - could that have messed things up?
Anyway, I booted up in the old kernel 2.6.5 and then tried using a patch from kernel.org but all it says is Current kernel version is 2.6.5 and doesn't go on to do anything else.
It is all very confusing as I think I'm doing everything right... I'm worrying that I've been making some schoolboy errors.

What is the easiest way of compiling a new kernel? I've tried the bog-standard method of unpacking the linux-2.6.7.tar.bz2 file, doing cd linux-2.6.7, and then typing make clean && make mrproper. As I said, it screws up on the make oldconfig   or      make menuconfig line.

Thanks for your help.

James Wilkinson <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Art Ped wrote:
> Sorry James, I admit my earlier e-mails were more than a littly foggy.

That's OK.

> I tried slmodem-2.9.8, slmodem-2.9.7 and slmodem-2.9.9 from
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/ but with no luck.
> Once again I amended the Kernel-directory path in Makefile. When I
> typed "make" I got the long list of error messages attached to this
> e-mail in FULL as "errors" (I managed to put it on a floppy and
> export it to Windows).
> I have tried both
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358
> and /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/build as the kernel path.
> It looks as if I've either got that wrong or I am missing a great many
> kernel headers (???).

OK: I've now installed the Fedora 2.6.5-1.358 source code, and I'm
getting lots of errors while trying to compile the 2.9.9 ! driver. But
it's building fine against a standard 2.6.7 from kernel.org. I'd say
it doesn't like one of Fedora's patches.

Warning: a module compiled against 2.6.7 probably won't work on
2.6.5-1.358.

I'd recommend you get hold of 2.6.7 from a kernel.org mirror, compile
it yourself, boot from it, then compile the slmodem driver against the
2.6.7 source and try it there.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "My aunt's camel has fallen in the mirage."
westexe.demon.co.uk | -- "Soul Music", Terry Pratchett.