Re: Old Crystal Sound with FC2?

Peter Hutnick wrote:

I have a ThinkPad 600, with some old Crystal sound. FC1's version of sndconfig picked it up just fine. system-config-sound reports no soundcards detected. I installed the old FC1 sndconfig rpm, but the driver model seems to have changed ;-)

Any hints?

-Peter

Hi, Peter
I've had the same problem with an old Aptiva SE7 with the CS4232 chip. For one thing, support for the CS4232 (and from browsing the /lib/modules hierarchy, a number of other legacy chips) was not configured in the default kernel. I'm told that building a custom kernel with support for the CS4232 would go a long way toward fixing the problem. Whether that's all that would be required, I don't know, being something of a newbie myself. In any case, on the other side of my home office I have a much newer box (NetVista A60) dual booting Win2K and SuSE 9.1 Pro. The newer sound chip was recognized and works fine in both OS's, so there's no great incentive for ME to try rebuilding the kernel, except as an exercise. If you DO try it, please post the results here; it might be just the incentive I need. ;-{)>
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn