Re: Firstboot problem

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 15:25, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 01:12, Chadley Wilson wrote:
>

> > > This has happened more than once?  With the same user?

> Actually I am not sure I understand.
>
> Are you talking about a system that has already been loaded and is being
> used by the customer?  Or are you talking about a system that is being
> loaded from CD for the very first time?
I manufacture PCs and I normally reset firstboot to start for when the
client switches it on for the firstime. There 1000s of PCs.

> What file system are you using?  ext3 can recover very nicely without
> running fsck (as can reiserfs, I think, but I have not used that one).
> Great thing about journaling file systems.
ext3, Yes but when you power off (i.e hit reset or have a power failure,
or like fc1 hit the power switch the PC switches off without going
through the shutdown sequence, normally referred to as shutting down
uncleanly).
With ext3 the a fsck will prompt you to run a disk check where you can
press Y or wait n seconds.
Now whether you do press Y or not it switches to console 1 (ctrl-alt-f1)
and doesn't switch back to GUI (ctrl-alt-f8).
at this point the boot process will carry on on console 8 but you are
looking at console 1, which stop at enable swap space. At this point
1000 users (who have all powered off there machines instead of clicking
next ) phone us for support because they don't know that they must press
ctrl-alt-f8.

> This kind of reminds me of the old joke of guy at the doctors saying
> "Hey doc, it hurts when I bend my finger back like this", the doctor
> responds, "Don't do that and it won't hurt.".

Yipp I agree
> I do not understand why they would hit the power button when they see a
> button that says "next".  Either educate them or as I said before get
> the 2x4 adjustment tool out and apply it liberally.

I dont understand either, I completely freeked out when I found what
these ID 10Ts are F???????? doing.

But I do need a fix, otherwise firstboot will have to be thrown out.
Sorry, It is creating to much stress on my production line.
Its not serious when its one machine, But it is very serious when it is
1000 machines.

So any one have a trick for me before I toss this one (firstboot) out
the window, until they make a better one :-| ?

> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.
> 		-- Winston Churchill
Chadley Wilson
Soon 2 B RHCE
Linux Rocks
Welcome to my world.
Enjoy the adventures of Linux
Linux is easy, lazy people criticise, curse and fail.