Odd Slowness on Gigabit Ethernet

Hi folks - got a strange little issue coming up on an FC2 server, just
hoping someone might have seen something like it before and might be
able to suggest an angle to attack it from.

We're seeing pretty dismal transfer rates when copying files onto the
server. We noticed it first via Samba, but tested and it occurs when
using SCP as well. Not sure on the exact card in the server, but it's
using the sk98lin module. We've tested on both the 2.6.5-1.358smp and
2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp kernel packages.

The switch is a big Cisco thing, but we've tried it in isolation with
just a Windows XP client on another switch too (Netgear, I think.
Certainly not another Cisco.) - same deal. The switch ports are
showing it's negotiated full-duplex and so forth, and we forced the
setting manually too - no difference.

The really odd thing is that the transfer rates pick up dramatically
if we start ANOTHER copy to the server at the same time. Don't have
the numbers to hand, but we figured that one single copy to the server
was running at about 1/10th or less of the network's capacity, but if
we started another one from either the same client machine or any
other one on the switch, they were getting about half each.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening here? We're pretty
confident it's something at the server's end, and we're still poking
at it, but if anyone's seen anything like this before I'd love to hear
about it.

Thanks,
Mike.