Re: arp problem? Howto fix

On Thursday 22 July 2004 22:13, Craig White wrote:
[... long description]>
>----
>don't know if you've solved this and not entirely sure which FC we
> are talking about but I would check for the wrong module being
> assigned to the switched NIC in the following places...
>/etc/modules.conf
>/etc/modprobe.conf
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX
>
>I would remove the 'old' module ... rmmod rtl8139too or whatever it
> was and insmod the new module if known or simply run kudzu and then
> restart network service.
>
>Craig

No, I haven't solved it, yet, and the system is FC1, with a 2.6.8-rc2
kernel.

What I did about an hour ago was to shutdown and re-insert the 8139too
card, reboot, use redhat-config-network utility to destroy the old
eth0 that was using the forcedeth module, then rebuilt eth0 using the
8139too driver.  I had it all up and running great about 10 minutes
from powerup.

So the only thing thats changed is the port the cat5 cable to the
switch is plugged into on the back of the machine, plus the driver
and "card" to use.  All else is identical EXCEPT for the MAC address
for the forcedeth version ANAICT.  FWIW, the 8139too driver is still
built into the kernel, whereas forcedeth has to be loaded.  But that
didn't seem to make any noticeable difference that I could see or
feel.  Ping times to the firewall box were faster on forcedeth, < .1
millisecond.  Usually its around .2 milliseconds.

I'm slowly going bald (its all grey and getting pretty thin on top
anyway :) from fooling with this.  I may record the MAC from this
card, go into the bios and set that one to the same just for grins
yet.  Another day though, this ones gotten long in the tooth.

Thanks Craig, I appreciate the reply.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.