Why? sh <defunct>

Hello all,

I have an issue I don't understand and am wondering if it is a real
problem or not.

As you can see from below I get a process that shows <defunct>.  When I
go to the /proc folder I find a directory that is all messed up.  This
keeps happening with process ID's at around the same point (34??).  When
this happens the system gets a little flaky and I need to delete the
directory and reboot to clear the problem.

It seems to me that it should be random and not so predictable.  It also
happens well after a boot (Hours).  Since it is so predictable I thought
some program during boot may have been the problem.  But that just does
not seem to hold water.  Also I only get one of these never any more.

Can anyone provide any insight?  Is this a bug?

Regards,

George Neusse

ps -A

 3399 pts/1    00:00:00 bash
 3422 ?        00:00:00 crond
 3423 ?        00:00:00 sh <defunct>
 3426 ?        00:00:00 sadc
 3514 ?        00:00:00 run-parts
 4886 pts/1    00:00:00 view
 4931 ?        00:00:00 yum.cron
 4932 ?        00:00:00 awk
 4941 pts/2    00:00:00 bash
 5003 pts/2    00:00:00 su
 5007 pts/2    00:00:00 bash
 5044 ?        00:00:00 yum
 5050 pts/2    00:00:00 ps

[root@portege proc]# ls 3423
ls: cannot read symbolic link cwd: No such file or directory
ls: cannot read symbolic link root: No such file or directory
ls: cannot read symbolic link exe: No such file or directory
attr  cmdline  environ  fd    mem     root  statm   task
auxv  cwd      exe      maps  mounts  stat  status  wchan
[root@portege proc]#