mrtg random failures

Periodically, I get variations of the following errors via a cron job that runs mrtg every 5 minutes via:
env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg --lock-file /etc/mrtg/lockfile /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg

Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin//rateup could not read the primary log file for r1
Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin//rateup Can't remove r1.old updating log file
Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin//rateup Can't rename r1.tmp to r1.log updating log file
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1135.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1135.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1144.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1144.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1135.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1135.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1144.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1144.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1135.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1135.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1144.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1144.

Sometimes I only get the WARNING messages, and other times I get what I've included.

Half the time it all works as expected. When these failures appear, the long term logs are trashed and it starts over again from scratch.

I added the --lock-file to the command line because I was getting bogus error messages saying I had several mrtg's running against the same cfg file. When I added the --log-file those went away.

When I run the mrtg script manually, it never fails (echo $? is always 0).

I checked the logs for disk failure messages and ran smartctl on the drive and everything looks OK at the drive level.

Anyone else see this?

--

Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx