Re: Would you put web-server on the same machine as your company internal database?

Apollo at Carmel Music & Entertainment wrote:
I thinking about consolidating my two servers into one. Right now I have separate server for my Apache/RealMedia server and separate server for Samba/MySQL for internal use.
Would you consolidate these two into one?

Absolutely not. Any compromise of the Web server would expose your internal database.

My perimeter is guarded by a custom firewall machine.

You've opened holes in it into the Web server.

The webserver should be in the DMZ with the other server on the internal interface of the firewall, in a different subnet.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555