Re: FC2: failed to boot from installation CDs

Itay Furman wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Jeff Vian wrote:

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 17:23, Itay Furman wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Fedora and trying to install FC2 -- and failed right at the beginning.

My machine is IBM T41 laptop; pentium M.
I tried the Installation CDs, the DVD, and boot.iso burnt on a CD. The machine won't boot from them, and instead will continue to boot from the HD a previously installed system.

To be sure, I checked RH9 installation CDs, Knoppix 3.1, and they boot normally.

Also, I was able to mount the FC2 CDs and DVD on another linux machine with no problem -- so I think it is not an issue with the burning.

Any ideas?

	Thanks in advance for all help.
	Itay

Will the other machine boot from those disks?

No :-(  See my reply to Satish Balay earlier in this thread.

You may have copied the file to the disk instead of burning the image to
the disk.

This mistake was done by my collegue earlier. When I mounted such CD all I see in the file system is a single file <something>.iso
This was not the case here.
Anyway, I burnt the CDs with Macs (two different ones) so this might be the problem.

	Thanks for replying,
	Itay

Watch the speed of the drive burning the CD and the speed of the drive trying to run the burn. For example I burned a set of FC2 CDs on a 52x burner. The media check said they were ok. I tried to install on another machine. It failed. The I realized the install machine only had a 4x drive. I burned a copy at 4x and the install performed flawlessly.

Greg Morgan