Re: How to schedule for every two fridays with cron and/or at?

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Mike Fedyk writes:

Hi,

I have Amanda setup to run a daily backup Monday through Friday night. That works fine.

But now I want to add a full backup every two weeks on Friday night and I'm having trouble creating cron entries that don't have the commands running on the same day for full and daily backups.

The best I have come up with is to run "at 20:45 Friday + 14 days" and "at 20:45 Friday + 28 days" at the beginning of each month but I don't think that will handle the situation correctly if the weeks don't overlap correctly.

Any ideas on how to get this working would be very helpful.

Run the following script every Friday:

if test -f /etc/foo
then
    rm -f /etc/foo
else
    touch /etc/foo
    exit 0
fi

Ok, thanks. I'm going to modify it to take two arguments. One for temp file specification, and one for command to alternate.

And I'll call it "alternate"

Now that I'm doing that, does anyone know of a project that collects and maintains a bunch of little utilities like this? Like a sysadmin toolbox or something...