Re: PCMIA Issues

Norman Gaywood wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 04:20:57PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

Chris Canavan wrote:

That did the trick.  Is there a way to implement this
fix permanently through the startup routine.

This has been a thorn in the side for a long time--especially with pcmcia-based network cards. The problem is that the network is started long before pcmcia is (the /etc/rc.d/rcx.d sequence number for network is S10, that for PCMCIA is S24).

The easiest fix is to:

	cd /etc/rc.d/rc(your-run-level).d
	mv S24pcmcia S09pcmcia

so pcmcia starts before the network.  The network scripts are supposed
to work around this issue, but they don't reliably.

Even easier, and more correct IMHO, is to NOT set "start on boot" option
of the PCMCIA network card interface setup.

You then have to start the network manually every time--either via an "ifup eth0" or a "service network start". That's a pain if this is your primary machine and that's your sole NIC.

The network interface will start when PCMCIA starts or when you plug-in
your PCMCIA network card.

The NIC doesn't always start when pcmcia starts or I wouldn't have made my suggestion about changing the start sequence. It's SUPPOSED to, but in many instances it doesn't. This may be a glitch in the pcmcia handling code or the /etc/pcmcia.d setup stuff, but it's not always reliable. My "cheap and dirty fix" works every time.

"If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid."
			-- Regimental Sergeant Major Henry G. Kester,
			"Warbots"
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -