Re: Fedora speed and a ranking of distro speeds

Am Di, den 13.07.2004 schrieb Thiers Botelho um 23:44:
> Now, as a newbie I'd like to hear any comments on how easy would be for an
> average user to tune FC2 up in order to achieve better performance than
> that of the out-of-box defaults (on the desktop side I mean).

Maybe, a first question should be: what is the downside of those tuning?

One example: ext3 is slower as reiserfs in some circumstances. But you
have a better chance to loose all your data being on reiserfs in certain
circumstances as well. You may gain some performance from reiserfs for a
period of time, but may have a severe "loss of performance" while
looking for your latest backup tapes one day.

Red Hat has been well known for being quite conservative back in the
days of RHL, deciding for stability and reliability over performance.

Peter