Re: Mail ???

I'm not sure whether I'm right, since I don't use evolution, but I think evlolution does not use a ~/mail directory, but stores it's data (mail, addresse, etc) in it's own datastructure. I think evolution creates it's own directory in the user's home directory.

Do you have an X-Server on your local machine when you login to your machine via ssh (are you using linux ?)?

If yes try this own:

ssh -XC username@machine

and start evolution at the command line as if you were working locally. The evolution window will then be send to your local machine tunneled and securely encryted through ssh.

As an alternative, you can say

ssh -XC username@machine evolution

which will not give you a shell, but starts evolution directly

The -X option means, that ssh shall tunnel X-programs to your local machen (that's what you want)
The -C option means that ssh shall compress the data before sending it (which is not necessary, but speeds up things when using a dialup connection).

greets Boris