Re: Grub issue / resolution that worked for me

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

I am running FC2 with software raid 1 (2 disks, 3 partions each).

I had been only able to boot off of hde. In order to feel that
I would be able to boot off hdg if hde went south I decided to try
to fix this. But it turned out to be a lot harder than I expected.

As well as the steps you suggested, read the following:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/014331.html

The one thing it does differently is tell grub that (hd0) is actually your second disk, before you install grub to the second disk.

This fixes the problem where if you remove /dev/hde, /dev/hdg actually becomes (hd0) - you've got it set up as being (hd1). The extra steps contained in that url tell grub to believe that (hd0) is actually pointing at /dev/hdg

-- Daniel Lawson WAND Group, Computer Science Department University of Waikato email: daniel@xxxxxxxxxxx phone: +64 7 838 4466 ext 6254