Re: Can't I get a /dev/one?

That won't work for my application.

I'm trying to fill a hard drive with all ones.  I know how to fill it
with all zeros:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb bs=1024 count=58615704

I don't know how to fill it with all ones.

I'm working within pretty low functionality on this system (RHL 9
installation CD rescue mode)

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to fill it with ones?

If you are doing a secure erase or a bad sectors test, there are already programs to do this. They'll write 0s, then 1s, then alternate 0 and 1, and 1 and 0. look for badblocks on your rescue disk, or look on freshmeat for a secure erase.

Failing this, it's fairly trivial to write a program to do this for you. Contact me offlist if you aren't good with programming.

-- Daniel Lawson WAND Group, Computer Science Department University of Waikato email: daniel@xxxxxxxxxxx phone: +64 7 838 4466 ext 6254