Re: yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:38:45 -0700, John McBride <jmcbride@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just curious...what is the rationale of forcing new installs every 6 mos. as opposed to having some type of "yum flavoring" like debian...unstable, testing, stable type of thing? Then just have "fedora" and a "fresh" set of cd's (requiring less download for update than an older set).

The reason I ask is more and more people seem to be saying "fedora is the equivalent of debian unstable"...but it seems to me that fedora was portrayed as a usable desktop/server system when the project was started.

If this is not considered "reasonably stable software" and the only choice is RHEL, well, I don't like it. I think that's an awfully large gap to fill.

My personal experience is (having used at least three distros for months or years apiece) fedora seems to be pretty usable and likable. Just not sure I like the "wipe and reinstall" every six months.

I'm sure your opinion may differ...not that it takes that long to wipe and reinstall, but redoing all the NIS, samba, cvs, dhcpd, etc. every six months is probably a drag on admins.

Im certainly not sure of all the details, but I imagine a seamlessly working
updatable is a big step to run flawlessly. Maybe there's issues with getting
this working. Upgrading from one version of rh distro to the next has never
been always free of problems. Still, I agree - this sort of setup would be nice
but would take man hours away from developing a testing distro which is I
think Fedora's main goal.

There's also the philosophy of keeping up with the Jones'. I'm not really
fussed on upgrading every six months, but is there a need? For some people
probably, but I started with rh7.3 and rh8.0 which came out a couple of weeks
later. Once I'd customised that and learned how to samba, nat, apache, iptables etc
I didn't have any real need to upgrade to rh9.0 - I was happy with it the way it was. The
couple of applications I did need to upgrade usually weren't very difficult to do
manually. I skipped to FC1 at the start of this year when my motherboard bombed
and must admit I do like it, but now that I have it happily chugging along I dont think
I'll install again till FC3 - except perhaps for a poke around in FC2 for interest sake.

Cheers,
Daniel.

--
email:snorri_dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx