Re: Still can't make yum.conf to install mplayer from livna

Andrew Konosky wrote:

"However this moring few mails adviced me that the livna shuold work as long as you use fedora extras to go with it together, but I still can not yum install the mplayer as I used the sample yum.conf, and my intention is not to use many unecessary repositories, so I want to try, and I want to know what have I missed in that sample yum.conf I copied from Fedora.org, because in my current level I can't see what's wrong with it. My point is if other people certified that can yum install the mplayer and I failed, that means I need to understand the use of yum.conf further."

Well, as I said before, the alternate repositoires /ARE/ necessary if the ones you are using now don't work. That's why I said you should use them by removing the # in front of them. Anything with a # at the beginning of the line /*is not*/ part of the config file. It is considered a comment. In order to activate the alternate repositories, delete the #'s. *Deactivate the testing and unstable servers by/ putting/ comments in front of them!
*
Now, since you are worried about extra unneccessary servers, you need to make multiple config files. Set yum.conf, which is the default, to use what servers you want to use regularly and comment out the rest. When you use yum, it will only use these servers. But if something, like mplayer, won't work with you default servers, you can try different servers. Make a copy of the yum.conf, rename it to something like yum-all.conf. You can make a yum-livina.conf to only use the livina repository.

To use multiple config files, use the -c option. For example:

[root@localhost root]# yum install mplayer - uses default yum.conf
[root@localhost root]# yum -c /etc/yum-all.conf install mplayer - uses config file with all servers enabled
[root@localhost root]# yum -c /etc/yum-livina.conf - uses only livina servers

Andrew, Many thanks for the tip of using multiple config files, it is real a big help in using yum - I actually had started making multiple config file like : yum.config.orig, yum.config.livna, yum.config.SeaMonkey etc. , when ever I have a desured repository to use, I just cp /etc/yum.conf.xxxxx /etc/yum.conf , and then confirm to override . But this time you give me a new and better way of using the yum.conf, thanks again.