FC2 hangs when accessing serial device

Hi there,

I've just upgraded from FC1 to FC2 on a shuttle PC, 2.4 GHz P4, Hauppauge PVR-350. I am using a Sony EVI-D31 PTZ camera with this machine. The camera has s-video output into the hauppauge, and a serial control channel which you can use to issue movement commands.

This used to work fine in FC1. I needed to upgrade some libraries, so upgraded to FC2 at the same time, and now whenever I turn the camera on, the machine hangs. Turning the camera off (or unplugging the serial cable) causes the machine to resume.

I am using the atrpms version of apt, and all its associated repositories as is (clean install of FC2).

It looks like its a probing error, however I've checked everything I can think of. No processes seem to execute at all while the machine is hung, although the machine still responds to ICMP.

I can reproduce this bug quite easily by plugging the camera in and turning it on. The presence of the cable or the cable and the powered off camera does not trigger this bug. The camera has to be on for it to occur, and the machine will come out of it's hung state immediately upon the camera being turned off or the serial cable being disconnected.

I did notice that the LA seemed to hit a high value while the machine was locked, although that is probably an artefact of no processes executing while it is locked. kacpid does accumulate a lot of system time however.

I have checked the following items:

Tested single user mode.
Disabled hotplug (moved /sbin/hotplug out of the way)
Disabled acpi and apm, both using kernel arguments and by recompiling a kernel.
Used a vanilla 2.6.7 kernel
Used a vanilla 2.4.26 kernel

I dn't have many other serial devices handy, however I negotiated a null modem connection to a different machine using minicom. I have no way of testing a full serial connection yet.

None of the above tests helped in any way.

This exact hardware setup worked fine with FC1 previously. The fact that a 2.4.26 vanilla kernel showed the same behaviour implies that it is probably not a kernel bug, unless the bug manifested itself between whichever version of 2.4 I was running previously and 2.4.26. The serial system was rewritten in 2.6 I believe.

I'm stumped. I also don't have any more time to work on this, so am installing debian unstable on a separate harddisk. I'd prefer to get FC2 working, as I've invested some time in the previous setup.

Daniel

--
Daniel Lawson
WAND Group, Computer Science Department