Re: Sound (and wireless) on new Presario R3000 (was: Invalid partition table)

Kris Haight wrote:

This is why I disagree with people who say there should not be an option for
this when installing. If there was an option it would be easy to say "when
you are setting up drives, select this optiom". Even if the option is
burried under two or three menus.

Anyhow I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. Per my earlier post, the problem is solved. It was because /boot was logical and Disk Druid accepted it. I logged a defect in bugzilla.

This is a brand new laptop, and HP support couldn't give me specifics about the sound card. I am afraid even if i find out what the card is, there might not be a driver for it.
Btw. sndconfig is no longer applicable, because sound architecture has changed.

P.S. Also, the only driver i found for this laptop's integrated wireless card (Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g), costs $20 after 1 month: http://www.linuxant.com/company/. I will probably settle for it if i don't find anything else, but any tips to avoid $20 expense are appreciated. I hear that HP support couldn't help others with this card other than saying buy a different one. The URL above might actually come in handy for many other users as well, and may qualify as a QA entry. I spent nearly a day to come up with it. The linuxant solution appears somewhat slower than performance on XP, but overall is a pretty decent way to go. At least with the wireless i know of this way to have it working. With sound, i don't have a clue yet. Although frankly i haven't focused on it yet.

Thanks,
<rsa/>