Re: Disk Quotas

Robert Locke wrote:
On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 19:13, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:

Robert Locke wrote:

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 07:56, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:

<snip >

If i understand this well when the condition -x /sbin/quotaon is satisfied ( when really ?) it tries to execute the /sbin/quotaon -aug command

Testing that the file /sbin/quotaon exists, then execute the command....

< snip >
It is turning on quotas on filesystems where quotas are enabled....

Well that means exactly NOWHERE !!! UNLESS the superuser has

a) modified the /etc/fstab
b) placed proper files ( aquota.user for users , aquota.group for
group quotas )

Take another look at the procedure below.... The "quotacheck" command
with a -c option, will create the aquota files....
Yes I know what the -c option does . I have read the man page .
The only problem i had on that subject was how to create them
for the very first time

Take a look at "man
quotacheck" for more details....

OK.

And yes, unless the whole procedure has been followed, there is no quota
limiting....

Robert , i looked at the man pages and tried to understand what they were saying . I have managed to enable quotas on my /home filesystem ( different filesystem than / "root filesystem" ) but that was not exactly because i fully understood what i was doing . From the quidelines that you kindly provided it seems that whatever i did needed a bit tweaking .

< snip >

Let's recap, step-by-step:

1) vi /etc/fstab
  Modify the "filesystem" options to include either "usrquota" or
"grpquota" (usually has defaults).
2) mount -o remount "filesystem"

Am a little bit scared on running this command for the root filesystem .

Of course your other choice is to reboot.... :-)  But the remount option
has worked pretty good.

Well i didn't knew about this possibillity ( the remount option ) , so yes i rebooted .

3) quotacheck -cM "filesystem"

Here i didn't use the -M option , i used the -c option though 4) quotaon "filesystem"

That was done by the boot proccess .
5) edquota "username" or look up setquota

Everything fine here .

One last thought for you....  I generally do not find much need to set a
quota on the "/" filesystem.  On a truly multi-user system (implying a
need for quotas), I ensure that the regular user writable filesystems do
not include "/".  I generally have a separate /home, /tmp, etc....  I
can then place a quota on those filesystems only.  I also never put a
limit on the user root......

:)) My current installation is the first one which has different partitions for /home , /tmp , /var . Agreed for everything else .

HTH,

? what do you mean by that .

--Rob

Kostas