Re: Fedcora 2 X86_64 mozilla problem

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm starting to understand this dual library stuff a little better now. I was able to install the latest xorg-x11-libs package to get the 32-bit version of libXinerama.so.1 and, thus, I was able to successfully install the firefox RPM. However, when I try to run firefox, it does nothing for me except produce this error:

$ /usr/bin/firefox
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

All I could tell from google was that getcwd is a lower-level *nix command for programming. Not an installable package or anything. That's probably an asinine way of describing it, but that's how I understand it. The /usr/bin/firefox script is set up for sh instead of bash... would that make a difference? Do I have the 64-bit sh installed which is causing the 32-bit firefox to die? I'm really confused.

Cyrus

Phil Dybvig wrote:

I'm on an FC2 AMD x86_64 Dual Opteron machine and can't install the firefox i386 version you suggested. Here is my problem, which is pretty self-explanatory. I've had this issue with many, many packages where RPM says it needs something that very obviously exists in the right place. I don't understand it.

[root@teddy cyrus]# rpm -Uvh /home/cyrus/Desktop/packages/firefox-0.8-0.fdr.11.2.i386.rpm
warning: /home/cyrus/Desktop/packages/firefox-0.8-0.fdr.11.2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID ecc63e4d
error: Failed dependencies:
libXinerama.so.1 is needed by firefox-0.8-0.fdr.11.2
[root@teddy cyrus]# locate libXinerama.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib64/libXinerama.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib64/libXinerama.so.1.0
[root@teddy cyrus]# cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib64
/usr/lib64/sane
/usr/lib64/qt-3.1/lib
/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/lib
/usr/local/lib/php
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib64
/usr/lib64/mysql
/usr/lib64

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cyrus

The problem is that you have the 64-bit Xinerama shared library but the 32-bit firefox needs the 32-bit Xinerama shared library (and the 32-bit version of other things, too). The biarch model says for example that 64-bit shared libraries for X-Windows are in /usr/X11R6/lib64 while the 32-bit libraries
ares in /usr/X11R6/lib. The linker does not like to load 64-bit libraries into 32 bit programs because addresses are not compatible etc.

The solution is to load the 32-bit version of the Xinerama library.  On my
system, I run

 $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1
 xorg-x11-libs-6.7.0-5

This is an upgrade of xorg-x11-libs-6.7.0-2.i386.rpm on the original disk
I installed from.  That disk also has the x86_64 version you have installed.
So, if your yum configuration points at an appropriate mirror, you should be
able to run

$ yum install xorg-x11-libs-6.7.0-5.i386
to get the library. (I did install everything at the outset, so I already
had it.

The biarch business usually works great (the heaving lifting is done by
by the processor) but there are some glitches. For example, the 32-bit
and 64-bit versions of the gdk-pixbuf packages share a nonidentical config
file in /etc/gtk-2.0. I have tried things like using rpm -i --force to
install the 32-bit version and then the 64-bit version and then guessing how
to edit the common files to pull it all together. I have to say I am not
very confident about the outcome, since I don't have a clear understanding
of how the packages use the config files. However, there is no conflict for libXinerama.

For more information, I recommend Justin Forbes' x86_64 on FC2 FAQ:
http://www.linuxtx.org/amd64faq.html
and his posts here.

-- Phil