Re: FC1 upgrade from rh8, but running 2.6.7 kernels

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Friday 09 July 2004 18:44, Rick Stevens wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;  Partial duplicate post since no one commented on
the first post in about 6 hours.

yum seems to have self-destructed with its last update run a
couple of days ago.  It was working fine till after that, but now
I have at least 2 programs that don't run/compile.  Yum doesn't
run, returning this error:

[root@coyote /]# yum update
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
    import yumcomps
  File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
    import comps
  File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
    import libxml2
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
    import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so:
undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed
[root@coyote /]#
---------------

And I will categorically deny doing anything to my python install
that a yum update didn't do.  The only housekeeping I've done in
the last month was that I discovered I had 2 identically named qt
libraries, one in the qt3.3 tree, and one in the qt.3.1 tree, so
the whole qt-3.1 tree got nuked.

Addendum, I fixed the grip compile problems from the first post by
moving copies of the libraries it was looking for from where they
were to where the *(&%^% makefile was looking for them.  Bad dog,
no bisquit.

What packages do I need to get, update to and/or (re)install to
restore the yum  and/or python problem?  I think rpm is still
working.

Have you tried "yum clean"? I suspect your cache got wonked and yum doesn't like that.

Well, I just cranked up a cli to look for that, and got this:

[root@coyote root]# strings /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so | grep xmlByteConsumed
libxml_xmlByteConsumed
O:xmlByteConsumed

So that is there it seems, so we'll try your way :)

Uhh, no, same error:

[root@coyote root]# yum clean
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
   import yummain
 File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
   import yumcomps
 File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
   import comps
 File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
   import libxml2
 File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
   import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed

I hate being a PITA, but I guess I am :(
Next suggestion?

Are you currently running FC1 or RHL8? Your subject is a bit confusing. I'll recommend 'rpm -V' on yum dependent packages to make sure the packages are consistant - and compare the versions with what it should be [for the given distribution]

rpm -q yum python libxml2-python
rpm -qV yum python libxml2-python
rpm -Va

Satish

-----
For FC1:
asterix:/home/balay>rpm -q yum python libxml2-python
yum-2.0.7-1
python-2.2.3-7
libxml2-python-2.6.6-3
asterix:/home/balay>rpm -qV yum python libxml2-python
S.5....T c /etc/yum.conf
asterix:/home/balay>