Re: Spamassassin timing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Dalloz" <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 2004 July, 09 12:26
Subject: Re: Spamassassin timing
Am Fr, den 09.07.2004 schrieb Gregory Gulik um 20:35:

> 450Mhz is pretty slow.  My 2.4Gz Xeon with 1G of RAM running RH9 and
> Spam Assassin version 2.63 takes about 30-40 seconds per message.  I
> have some of the external stuff turned on.

A 450 MHz system is absolutely ok for home use. A 2.4 GHz Xeon is
overdose and if that powerful machine uses 30 to 40 seconds per message
you are doing something wrong. Either you have lots of RBLs checks
active or RBL on in combination with a broken DNS setup. Can be too that
you use UTF-8 console on RH9 where the UTF-8 support is known as broken,
especially for Perl things.
---New posting

Um, Alexander, a Spamassassin 2.63 with a relatively full set of the
SARE rule sets is a little bit tough on a 166 MHz running the small
"bigevil" set and no xBL tests. I am a little worried about running
the new 35,000 entry big evil test set. If that 350 MHz machine is
servicing more than a one or two users who do a LOT of email it is
possible it could be too small.

First off as important as the CPU speed may be the amount of system
ram present is critical. SpamAssassin uses LOTS of memory. So it is
wise to limit the number of concurrent Spam assassins running.

Second spamd/spamc is much faster than spamassassin itself. It
bypasses the lugubrious perl startup process and loading MOST of
the configuration files. (User custom files, if enabled, are still
read in for each message processed.)

Third, his delay time sounds like DNS delay. He may have his
SpamAssassin configured to use a dead BL.

Fourth, 2.63 is the ONLY version anyone should be useing today.
3.0 is in its first public beta at this time. It includes some
worthwhile innovations.

Fifth, the SpamAssassin wiki is well worth consulting.
http://wiki.spamassassin.org.

Sixth, the SpamAssassin mailing list is a useful resource.

Seventh, check back mailing list messages for references to "SURBL."
A lot of people absolutely adore it these days. (Even the guy with a
server farm that processed 103 million emails last month.)

{^_^}    Joanne