Re: Turning off unwanted programs to speed things up...

Andrew Konosky wrote:

I did an almost complete install of Fedora Core 2, even though I didn't know what half the stuff is or really need it, I have plenty of disk space with my new hard drive, but it is memory usage that is the problem. On startup I have 75% in use. I'm not familiar with how linux manages memory, but I know my system goes to 100% real fast, and I have 512mb. Is there a program where I can tweak what is loaded on startup in order to free up some memory? When running in windows 98, I have tweaked my system up good for gaming and have about 90% of the system resources free at startup and most of the memory. I don't do much gaming in linux (tried through wine, but doesn't perform very well), so I don't need it that freed up, but I think I need to get rid of some things.

Andrew,
This is normal. Linux will use all memory for disk cache/buffers/etc and release it "on demand" if needed by an application.

Thanks,

Dale