up2date upgrade attempt failed

Getting up2date from FC2 and installing it then typing the command: up2date -u --upgrade-to-release=fedora-core-rawhide <cr> the first time got me back a bunch of python errors. The second time I tried it, the first package that was found failed gpg test so that update attempt also failed. The nearest I ever got was using yum upgrade once yum.conf had been edited. I replaced all instances of $releasever with 2, and connection got reset by pier on that attempt. One thing I found strange about $releasever was I couldn't find where it was defined. At this point, I'm wondering if md5sum was hacked. That would explain all of the coasters even on expensive CD's because media check kept on failing on disc3 and disc4. I think I'll wait another few months before trying again, I've been told by my doctor I need to get my blood pressure down.