Re: Easy Install and Boot from USB Hard Drive?

rab wrote:

I've asked similar questions before. I've been directed to using mkinitrd but it's kind of complicated. Does anyone know of a Linux distribution that would be easy to install to and boot from a USB hard drive?

I tried two different ways and two diferent computers for installing from a USB drive. Neither worked out as expected.

I gave up for now on trying to install on a USB drive. You might check out expert mode on a computer owned by you.

I thought the computer dept. at my old company was bad but the computer dept. people at the new job are just plain Nazi's and stupid besides.

This probably is a good indication to not proceed on the company computers. If they are just doing their jobs or are control junkies, it is best to back off.

(One person told me she thought that Linux was not secure and was virus prone.)

Wasn't this a comment from someone who controls the other OS? They listen to him well, if he said it or it is just a rumor.

I would prefer to dual boot the machine but if I can't I would like to boot and run from an external USB drive.

I guess some others use live CD editions of Linux. A search on this topic might be of interest to you. I haven't personally ran these, but they are bootable and don't really install on the machine.

The new machine supports booting from a USB drive - I checked the BIOS setup. I don't want to install anything on the computer's hard drive although if I had to boot initially from a floppy I could live with that. Surely someone has a simple solution.

Best to not take chances, but a Live CD version of Linux sounds interesting for home use and trials.

Good luck,

Jim

Rick B.