Re: GNOME speed-up

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 16:43, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 19:54 +0200, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> > I always felt that GNOME on FC2 was slightly slow on my P4 1.4GHz 1GB
> > production box, so I started to think what might be the cause.
> > Just out of curiosity I changed the theme to "Simple" and VOILA!
> > GNOME feels much more responsive now!
>
> > Just sharing my experience. Maybe it's useful for someone!
> Thanks Hannes! Indeed it's quite responsive with it, unlike Bluecurve.
> I'll change it to default for all users :D

FWIW, even under xfce4, which is faster than GNOME, there are notable
differences in GUI performance depending upon the theme engine in use.

I happen to like the Ana theme, where I use the gtk2 theme from Theme
Depot (http://www.themedepot.org/itemdetail.php4?id=1448) and Nikola
Pizurica has kindly ported the Metacity theme to xfwm4
(http://xfce.lindesign.se/db/viewtopic.php?t=750).

However, there is a trade-off in performance relative to the native xfce
engine themes, which are notably faster.

For reference, this is on a 3.2 Ghz P4 now using the native nVidia
driver. So even on relatively fast systems, GUI performance can differ
quite a bit.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz