Re: system-config-network broken?

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 20:12, Marc Williams wrote:
> Thanks, but I found a different solution.  As it turns out,
> system-config-network was choking on the size of my hosts file - 800k.
> I guess it doesn't like 'em that big.  When I temporarily gave it a
> normal hosts file, it handled it just fine.  Then I moved my big one
> back in place.
>
> I found something similar in Bugzilla.  Maybe this will help someone
> else.

How many entries do you have in that host file?

Many years ago I ran into a problem at work.  We had a large number of
3B2 computers scattered all over the country.  They had a database that
tracked the equipment and produced an updated hosts file twice a week
which was then distributed.  We started getting reports that things were
not working correctly.  Found out that the number of entries had gotten
so large that when the systems tried to resolve a name that was toward
the bottom of the hosts file the programs would time out and fail.  So
much for linear searches. :)

To fix the problem DNS servers were deployed and all the hosts were
converted to use them.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx