Re: problems with the ln command

Behold, Fons van der Beek <fons@xxxxxxx> hath decreed:

> > I believe that the quotation marks around the paths may be your
> > problem.  Try the command string without the quotation marks.
> >
> > Dick
> >

> That's rather hard to do because other directories have spaces in the
> directory name..
> insteam of "Nelly" e.g. "beasty boys" then I need those quotation marks....

Fons, et al:

Quotation marks should not be messing you up. They are interpreted by bash to
keep it from seperating the arguments on the command line,
so by the time the ln command gets executed, no quotes will passed in the
argument.

You could also get around needing quotes by escaping the embedded spaces using
backslashes (e.g. beasty\ boys), but that is rarely as convenient.

prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
"Every man is a mob, a chain gang of idiots."
                           - Jonathan Nolan, /Memento Mori/