Re: Fedora core 3 feature requests

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi

Should change the last one to "All your favorite
software which has a restrictive license and/or problems with the DMCA"

i wasnt complaining. just stating it so that others
wouldnt

I know. I said that only to make things more clear to people... I like to put things clear (specially on this subject) , as I'm tired of explaining to people why fedora doesnt support mp3 , ntfs , etc..

This is not simple. Many people have asked this ,
but so far no one started working on comps.xml... And this is no
simple task...
If people start now , maybe in FC4 or FC5 the job
will be finished.

does it really take so long (an year or so by your estimate) . Wouldnt shuffling packages around in that file according the dependencies be enough to do this?

Probably yes. To do this , it's necessary to choose a new base install , which isnt easy (I saw how hard it is on a project I worked on). Then, you have to check all the packages , see their popularity and then decide if it should be kept in core or be moved to extras. Most of this process is based on talking and getting to an agreement.. And doing this having only a mailing list to coordinate this job is hard... That's why I estimated one year to this...

no. i think all services remotely accessible should be
disabled by default.fedora favours usability over
this. I think it involves some discussion. mailing
lists are better for that

Which ones are remotely acessible? The default configuration (at least for the services I remmember) is to be only acessible to 127.0.0.1 when they are started by default.. In the other cases , the services arent started by default and you have to configure them .

--
Pedro Macedo