Re: Fix Broken RPM System?

Ryan R. La Mothe wrote:
Who would you send it to in order to add the information to an online FAQ that is accessible without searching a mailing list?  That is the person I want to talk to (and send the information on RPM database recover to).  Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of slim
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 5:03 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: RE: Fix Broken RPM System?

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 04:25, Ryan R. La Mothe wrote:

That's interesting.  I just deleted the damn file.

Thank you.  I'm not going to buy that after all of these years, a list of the most common types of RPM troubleshooting solutions isn't available somewhere, production quality or not.

<snip>

And you would have those on this list believe that those in search of a solution to their problem would be better served by having to read through page after page after page of a FAQ than by kickin' back while their computer searched this mailing list for an answer?

If that's the case, why not simply:
[rj@mavis rj]$ man rpm | lpr
and read through the page after page after page of printer output?

AAMOF, I just did a quick search of the archives for THIS mailing list
(at news://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general)
using the Mozilla search tool to find subjects having "rpm" AND "error". The first hit that did not also contain "yum" was a question posted on 27 Nov 2003 02:01:08 GMT. The 2nd hit was a concise and correct answer to the poster's (and your) problem and was posted on 27 Nov 2003 10:43:03 GMT.

The point is, it's usually lots easier and less frustrating to use the tools at your disposal than to launch a crusade for some arguably better tool. Refer to the recent discussion ratcheer about fdisk vs &^$#* Disk Druid.

Robert

-- "If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?" -- Lily Tomlin

 08:21:00  up 2 days, 16:14,  8 users,  load average: 1.42, 1.22, 1.13
     One billion seconds ago it was 06:34:20 CDT Thu 10/26/72

Repeat after me: "The primary purpose of any government
entity is to employ the unemployable."