Re: List of rpms to install mplayer on FC2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.1)

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 23:01, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >Hey Chuck,
> >
> >Try the following URL:
> >
> >http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware
> >
> >Frankly, I just downloaded the yum.conf, like they recommended, and
> > it added a good set of repo's.
> >
> So did I, and got this when I ran a 'yum update':
>
> [root@coyote etc]# yum update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.os/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method
> Server: Fedora.us Extras (Stable)
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   http://fedora.mirror.sdv.fr/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method
> failover: out of servers to try
> Error getting file
> http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
> [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> [root@coyote etc]#
>
> What do I check next?
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
> Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
> Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
> Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
> Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.

Gene,

I have only seen that happen to me once before like that.  First, it is
not unusual to get one or two of these when a mirror is having a
problem.  But the only time I got a slew of them like that is, frankly,
when I forgot to enable my network card (embarrassed at admitting that
one....).

More specifically, it tends to indicate a DNS problem.  Make sure you
can ping the name servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf and then try doing
a "dig www.redhat.com" to see if you get a response.  Presuming you do
not, begin to diagnose your network card settings and ability to access
the network-at-large.

Good luck,

--Rob