Re: problems installing with software RAID setup

--- Ben Steeves <ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 05:01:52 -0700 (PDT), jim higson <jh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have 2 near-identical PATA 160gig hard drives, so I thought it would be a
>>good idea to try a RAID-0 setup, since I'm going to be using this machine for a
>>few disk-intensive tasks.
>
>> I have one drive directly connected to the motherboard, and one on a PCI card
>> controller. At bootup the BIOS recognises the one on the mobo first, then later >> shows a seperate screen showing the drive on the PCI card. In Linux the drive
>> directly on the mobo is /dev/hde and the one on the PCI controller is /dev/hdc.

> Are you absolutely sure about that?  It seems very odd that your
> on-board controlers would get enumerated *after* your PCI slots... in
> fact, I've never heard of that happening.

Yes, I thought this was really odd too, but because the drives are slightly different models (SP1604N and SP1614N) I can see maps to which Linux device from their names. I get the same in Knoppix 3.3, which is a 2.4 kernel.

Before I had the PCI card the drives would map to hda through hdd as usual.

> On another note, you're using RAID-0, and there's really no advantage
> to having /boot striped (in fact, it's a liability -- if either drive
> fails, your system won't boot!).  You might think about changing it to
> a RAID-1 mirror.  I don't know for sure that that has something to do
> with it, but it might.

The boot partition is mirrored, the root and swap are striped. I mirrored the boot so that (in theory) it wouldn't matter which drive the computer booted off. I've also tried a plain ext3 partition for boot, with no luck.