Re: xawtv problems

--- Marc Williams <marcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you find your trusty old xawtv suddenly locking up your machine hard
> and you don't know why, I think I found the reason - the new Nvidia
> driver.
>
> Xawtv without the new Nvidia drivers works great, as always.  Also, the
> the new Nvidia driver works fine with everything I run unless I start up
> xawtv.  Instant lockup.  I haven't seen one of these for awhile.  Mouse
> is frozen in place, no keyboard, nothing.  A hard bounce is the only
> thing that works.
>
> I'd really like to get both of these guys (xawtv, Nvidia) to play nice
> together.  Any suggestions?
---

I am quite impressed by latest nvidia drivers - 560FPS for glxgears on a TNT2M64 compared with any
previous driver(85FPS). So, I tested some of the apps that I ussually run, including xawtv and
xmms (visualizations opengl: freeze xmms  if  enable-disable-enable; enable or enable-disable are
OK).

You're right, the combination nvidia-1.0-6106 with xawtv is a killer. For xawtv, if you use
"-remote" which disables overlay mode, it should work. I also use -noxv which reduces the procesor
use even further. It's not perfect, but it works for me. My line now is: xawtv -c /dev/video0
-remote -noxv .

Hope it will work for you too,
Ioan