Re: Mono in FC3

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 16:49, Atlantic Works - I.T. & Multimedia wrote:
> With the reluctance of Sun to "Open Source" Java, Mono seems a viable
> alternative. (.Net for Linux)

Perhaps Mono is a viable alternative to Java for development on Linux.
However, I do not think Sun's reluctance to open source Java makes it
so.  Mono is not Microsoft's version open sourced.  It is an open source
implementation.  There are open source implementations of Java as well.
From the standpoint of open source, they are pretty much equal footing.
I submit that Sun has provided readily available (and up to date)
versions of Java which run on Linux.  Microsoft has not given that level
of support; nor do I believe that they will.

Before you assume that I am flaming, note in my signature below that I
regularly develop on Microsoft platforms using Microsoft products as
well as on Linux (using non-Microsoft products, or course).  I am
currently evaluating mono simply because I have clients that insist that
their solutions be developed using .Net products, and I prefer to
develop on Linux.

--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP