Re: rpm got stuck

On 2004-07-01 (Thursday) 22:49, Nina Pham wrote:
> and stuck there, so I do Ctrl_Z to exit. Then Do rpm -e
> kerio-mailserver, get the same warning, and error can not create
> transaction lock.
    Ctrl-Z does not exit, it just suspends the process and puts it
in background. I seriously wonder why many people think ctrl-z kills
an application (I saw many use it with man when they did not know
that simple 'q' will quit from man). Where did you got the impression
that ctrl-z kills a process? Check 'man bash' and search '/' for job.
    About rpm, I had no locking problem with RH9/FC1 from a very long
time and never had with FC2. I believe locks with rpm can have something
to do with bug #91933, but it runs flawlessly for me now.
    Please follow Ow Mun Heng's advice in the thread to use -Uhv and -ihv
instead of -i and -U. Installing new kernel for example takes *lots* of
time and upgrading kde takes more than 5 minutes even on modern machine.
If rpm really hangs, try adding '-vvv' and see where it hangs.
    PS: you can not run two rpm transactions together. rpm -q while
installing/erasing a package works, but I would not recommend it too.

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79