Re: firewall ??

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:41, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2004, at 2:57 PM, Bobby Knueven wrote:
>
> >> Well... you need to set up a dhcp server.
> >
> > I already have a DHCP server, but it's not  on the firewall box. Does
> > that cause a problem?
> >

> Not a problem, if you want to use DHCP to assign addresses to the
> systems behind the firewall, you'll need to do one of 2 things:
>
> 1.  Install the dhcp package and configure the /etc/sysconfig/dhcrelay
> file, then:
>
> chkconfig dhcrelay on
> service dhcrelay start

man dhcrelay
       The DHCP Relay Agent listens for DHCP and BOOTP queries and  responses.
       When  a  query  is  received from a client, dhcrelay forwards it to the
       list of DHCP servers specified on the command line.  When  a  reply  is
       received  from  a  server, it is broadcast or unicast (according to the
       relay agentâs ability or the clientâs  request)  on  the  network  from
       which the original request came

Hmm.. from what i read, this isn't really necessary is it? It only states that it's necessary if
you have more than 1 dhcp server and they're on diff networks etc. or if the dhcp server is
down and thus needs to be forwarded to the backup one.

Other than that, I don't see why you need this.

Can you please explain?