Re: file-roller and bzip files

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 15:04, Mariano Draghi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that if I run
>    $] tar -zxvf foo.tar.bz foo
>
> then I can't open foo.tar.bz w/file-roller, because it says it isn't a
> regular 'bzip2' file or something.
> I have many old .tar.bz or .tbz files. How can I make file-roller not to
> assume that EVERITHING I gave him is using bzip2, but bzip?

I'm confused by what you've written above. In the example of the tar
command above you have the "z" option, which means use gzip, and the "x"
option which means extract. And yet the next part of your message
suggests that you used tar to *create* a *bzip2* archive. Can you
explain more clearly what you are trying to do?

Reading between the lines, tar will allow you to call an archive
anything you please, so "tar -zcvf foo.tar.bz2 foo" will still create a
gzip tar archive (because you used the "z" option) even though you have
decided to use a filename that as a matter of convention would normally
be used for a bzip2 tar archive. If you want to create a bzip2 tar
archive then you need to use the "j" option to tar, not the "z" option,
like so: tar -jcvf foo.tar.bz2 foo".

> This is something new... I don't remember having this issue in FC1, and
> to tell you the true, I'm almost sure that in the begining this worked
> OK. ¿Was this changed with any of the latest updates?

It maybe the case that in the past file-roller automagically determined
the archive type, but now simply goes by file extension. As you may have
created a gzip tar archive but named it in a way that suggests that it
is a bzip2 tar archive file-roller may be correctly informing you of
this.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com