Re: umount problems

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:26:21PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:26:21 -0700
> From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: korgull@xxxxxxx,
>         For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: "Christopher K. Johnson" <ckjohnson@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: umount problems
>
> Marcel Janssen wrote:

> >>The problem is probably fam.
> >>Try:
> >>killall -HUP fam
> >>Then unmount.
> >

> >It wasn't fam.
> >The problem simply disappeared, after 10 minutes I could unmount. Strange,
> >never seen this before. Must be something regarding the hotplug stuff I
> >guess.
>
> It was fam.
>
> I saw this before and traced it with lsof and grep and it was always fam
> holding the mount open.
>
> There seems to be a timing issue, or maybe just a simple timeout going
> on here.  If you try to unmount soon after using a mount, or maybe soon
> after initially inserting a disk (I was using CDs) it will refuse to
> unmount with the error you mentioned.
>
> The more I messed with it, the more persistent it was in refusing to
> unmount, so that's why I think it's a timeout problem.  Time seems to
> fix it most of the time.
>
> Can someone point me to the established practices for reporting bugs?
> What tools should I use to give a standard bug report?

This is a moderatly known issue.
The book solution to date is to use "umount -l"

   -l     Lazy unmount

If you do not mind clicking on the refresh icon or mind if
the system polls the devices then just shut off fam.

If you expect a GUI display of anything to update quickly you
need famd or some equivalent.

I commonly turn famd off, but then again I am most happy at a shell prompt.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l